Assistant Financial Controller
The WAA Group, consisting of the trading businesses of WAA Chosen (marketing agency) and Send DM (direct mail), is headquartered in Sutton Coldfield. The group has recently won numerous industry awards; including becoming a Times top 100 employer, being voted by the Sunday Times as one of the most inspirational places to work in the UK and being accredited as Investors in People since 1997.
WAA Chosen works alongside some large, exciting blue-chip clients in the UK and Europe. These are organised into three specialist vertical sector hubs, as are our operations; Hi-Vis (trade hub e.g. Jewson), Open Road (automotive hub e.g. VW) and Stir (retail and leisure hub e.g. Diageo).
Where you’ll work
You’ll work predominantly from our offices in Sutton Coldfield, with limited travel to our second site in Aldridge.
Our Sutton Coldfield offices are in the process of being expanded. Our plans are to create a collaboration campus, where there’ll be agile, themed and open workspaces for collaboration with clients and suppliers, along with recreational and quiet working spaces.
How you’ll progress
Our recent awards wins demonstrate our commitment to our people, their wellness and development. Our working environment is fast paced and dynamic; and providing you are up for a challenge, there are plenty of personal development opportunities. As the business grows, our success is shared amongst our team in a variety of ways, including professional development. Our finance team is also going through a period of change, so it’s a brilliant time to join and be part of the revolution.
What you’ll do
Reporting into the Group Financial Controller, you will play an instrumental part in our exciting and ambitious growth journey; supporting and influencing the group commercially. You’ll work closely with the rest of the finance team, our three client services hubs, Board Directors and our external stakeholders.
Key responsibilities include:
- Reporting – providing clear, insightful and timely reporting to the leadership team on a weekly and monthly basis. This will include timely monthly management accounts, for each entity, including reconciliations of our systems, posting journals, calculating prepayments and accruals, reconciling the balance sheet and investigating any anomalies and trends within the P&L.
- Analysis – analysing reporting provided to aid the decision making and generate insight.
- Commercials – this will include supporting and driving the client services staff within the hubs, monitoring and influencing job management and profitability, and championing our job management system, synergist (having worked in the system previously is not a must).
- Payroll – having the ability to run and/or approve payroll across both of our companies, ensuring up to date legislation is followed.
- External relationships and compliance – you will lead the relationship with our auditors (Grant Thornton), along with managing relationships with our banking partners and HMRC. You will be expected to keep up to date on current regulations and practices, via networking, attending workshops, or conducting your own research.
- Leading the finance team (in time) – managing a team of two within the finance team, coordinating month end procedures, overseeing daily transactions, credit control and accounts payable, and monitoring and maximizing cash flow.
- Processes and systems – as well as championing synergist, you will also own our Sage 50 package, ensuring both are maintained and processes in place are robust, continually challenged and aligned.
Who you’ll be
We take it as read that you have strong financial skills, and that you will take in your stride responsibilities such as reporting, management accounts and accounting processes. We need someone we can trust, who is diligent with an eye for detail, but with added extras including creativity and drive, and an ability to spot new opportunities and find new ways to do things.
As you would expect from a marketing group that is entrepreneurial and energetic, we place high value on emotional intelligence; you will be outgoing and positive, with strong communication and presentation skills, and will relish the opportunity to work with professional and creative people and make a true difference to our business.
Being qualified as CIMA, ACA or ACCA is a must, and payroll experience is favoured. Having qualified within a practice environment and/or with 2+ years industry experience is preferred.
It is desirable to have worked within Sage (or an equivalent accounts package) before, and to have experience within a services business.
What you’ll get
As well as a salary of £35K -£42K, you’ll receive a selection of benefits from working at the WAA Group:
- Pensions in line with auto-enrolment guidelines (currently 3% employer contribution)
- 26 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- One day per year to use on charitable activities, in conjunction with our own charity, the WAA Foundation
- Weekly training and monthly wellness workshops and activities
In order to apply please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org